DAMASCUS is an international, prospective study aiming to investigate the international variability in the presentation and index management of acute diverticulitis, and whether there is an association between index management and short and medium-term clinical outcomes including the readmission or re-intervention rates over the subsequent 6 months. DAMASCUS is a trainee-led study with local consultant support.
Our planned start date was to be April 1st 2020, however, in light of the current coronavirus outbreak, we have decided to defer this. The exact date is yet to be determined due to the uncertainty surrounding the current crisis. We appreciate that many trainees will rotate to another hospital either before or during the recruitment and we will fully support them with opening the study at their new hospital.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is already involved?
- There are over 110 sites signed up across the world. Please contact us if your hospital has signed up and you wish to join the team at your hospital.
- Sign me up!
- Please use this link to register your site to get REDCap login. We will issue REDCap logins close to the launch date to centres who have local approval confirmed.
- You can download and digitally complete this Expression of Interest Form DAMASCUS EOI Form. Up to 5 collaborators including at least one consultant are invited to join the study.
- Do I need to get ethical approval to join the study?
- Ethical approval will be sought within each host nation according to local, state or national policy.
- In the UK, this audit is not considered to be research and as such sites will be able to participate once local clinical audit approval is in place.
- Which guidelines I should use for the audit proposal?
- The EAES and SAGES 2018 consensus conference on acute diverticulitis management: evidence-based recommendations for clinical practice can be found here to be used for local audit registration.
- Where can I see the full proposal? DAMASCUS protocol
- Who do I contact to get involved?
- For more information, please contact us at Damascus.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you need to present the study to your department, you may use this presentation if you wish.